Hart, Shelby districts receive threats in wake of Oxford shooting.

December 6, 2021

Hart, Shelby districts receive threats in wake of Oxford shooting.

HART — Both Hart and Shelby school districts went into “soft lockdowns” after receiving threats Monday, Dec. 6.

Several districts on the east side of the state canceled classes after receiving “copycat” threats in the wake of the deadly school shooting at Oxford High School in Oakland County last week. West Michigan schools reported receiving threats, prompting school officials in Grand Haven and Fruitport to cancel classes Monday.

Hart went into lockdown after classes were dismissed Thursday, Dec. 2, following a threat that was later determined to be targeted at a school located on the east side of state. 

“Today, the school district received a threat,” states Hart Public School Superintendent Mark Platt on the school’s Facebook page Monday, Dec. 6. “The threat was immediately turned over to law enforcement for assessment. The origin of the threat is being pursued by Oceana County law enforcement, Muskegon County law enforcement and the FBI to find the origin of this threat. We have partnered with each other due to the fact that several other schools in Muskegon County received similar threats. All parties are deeply committed to finding the person(s) and prosecuting them to the fullest extent of the law. 

“As a precaution, the district went into what is called a soft lockdown. In a soft lockdown, we limit the movement and activity of students and staff until the threat has been assessed. In today’s situation, we decided to remain in a soft lockdown for the remainder of the school day. We did cancel the afternoon CTE bus route and Project Focus, but the weather also played a significant factor in that decision.”

“Today, our high school was informed of a communication, through social media, that a dangerous situation may be present,” said Shelby Public Schools Superintendent Tim Reeves in a written statement Monday. “This communication was immediately turned over to law enforcement for assessment. The origin of this communication is being pursued by Shelby police and the Oceana County Sheriff’s Office.

“Our district has partnered with local law enforcement agencies due to the fact that several other districts in Muskegon County received similar information,” said Reeves. “All parties are committed to finding the person(s) and prosecuting them to fullest extent of the law.

“As a precaution, the high school went into a soft lockdown,” said Reeves. “In a soft lockdown, we limit the movement and activity of students and staff. In today’s situation, given we did not receive additional information, we decided to remain in a soft lockdown for the remainder of the school day.”

Please consider helping to fund local news. Mason County Press and Oceana County Press are available for free thanks to the generous support of our advertisers and individuals who support our service. Click on the PayPal donation button located on the top right of our website.

This story is copyrighted © 2021, all rights reserved by Media Group 31, LLC, PO Box 21, Scottville, MI 49454. No portion of this story or images may be reproduced in any way, including print or broadcast, without expressed written consent.

As the services of Media Group 31, LLC are news services, the information posted within the sites are archivable for public record and historical posterity. For this reason it is the policy and practice of this company to not delete postings. It is the editor’s discretion to update or edit a story when/if new information becomes available. This may be done by editing the posted story or posting a new “follow-up” story. Media Group 31, LLC or any of its agents have the right to make any changes to this policy. Refer to Use Policy for more information.

 

Eats

Subscribe to OCP via email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 12,809 other subscribers