Suspect who escaped from police chief admits to probation violation

December 8, 2014


By Allison Scarbrough. OCP Editor.

HART — A 22-year-old Hesperia man who escaped from Hesperia Police Chief Dale Gibbs while handcuffed, Oct. 9, admitted Monday, Dec. 8, in 27th Circuit Court that he violated his probation when he escaped.

Terry Donald Pearo, of 361 Munn St., agreed to plead guilty to probation violation in exchange for dismissing one count of unlawful driving away an automobile (UDAA), third offense, and one count of escaping lawful custody of a police officer.

Pearo’s probation violation stems from Feb. 4, 2013 convictions of unlawful driving away of a motor vehicle; habitual offender, third conviction; and probation violation.

He was sentenced, Oct. 2, by 27th Circuit Court Judge Anthony Monton to 395 days in jail with credit for 395 days served for another probation violation conviction and ordered to pay $400 in fines and costs, with his probation continued.

Pearo was under arrest on outstanding Ottawa County warrants when he escaped from the police chief at the Hesperia Police Department, Oct. 9, according to the Oceana County Sheriff’s Office.

Pearo was arrested in the 200 block of McLaren Street in the village limits, according to the OCSO. He was somehow able to escape from the police department following his arrest. OCSO, the Newaygo County Sheriff’s Department, the Hart post of the Michigan State Police, and the NCSO Canine Unit were called to the scene at 3:10 p.m. to track him down.

Pearo alluded to Judge Monton Monday that he did not believe he was under arrest at the time he escaped. Bizon told Monton that Gibbs handcuffed Pearo; transported him in his police cruiser; and put him in his office. “It sounds like you were under arrest to me,” Monton said to Pearo.

Pearo, who is currently lodged in jail, was remanded back to the custody of the jail to await sentencing, Dec 22, at 10 a.m. The prosecution agreed to no more than two years’ incarceration.

Area Churches